Friday, December 12, 2008

A eulogy to Lucy

Gone. Just like that. One day she was there, the next day her web was empty. She has been part of our lives for a 1/3 of this year and has become part of the family. Though I knew that she would inevitably leave (die) with the first frost, I was still shocked and sad to find that the time had come – way too soon! Her curious mask and masterfully designed home gave us daily delight – not to mention the entertainment of feeding her flies or watching her wrap a catch (sometimes much bigger than herself) with amazing skill. Unfortunately Edmund (you will recall he was the persistent male) jumped ship a month or so ago and there will be no little spiderlings in the spring to continue Lucy’s legacy. Aaaa… her place is empty… she will be missed. I guess this is what would be called: “Empty Web Syndrome.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day: add to my therapy with your words:-)